Friday, January 1, 2016

Cee's Compose Yourself Challenge: Week 12 Critique My Work

Cee wants to see what we have learned from her Compose Yourself Challenges, so this week she shows us some of her uncropped photos.  We are to select two or more of them and tell her what is right and what wrong with them.  She really wants this to be a fun adventure, and for me it is a great way to review some of the things she has taught us.  I'm linking this post to Cee's Compose Yourself Challenge:  Week 12 Critique My Work.





I like the contrast of the red umbrella against the white background and subdued surrounding tones.   
The dark baseboard on the left and the angle of the wall and pavement on the right  lead the eye to the umbrella.   That is good. 

  • I would want to crop the photo a little so the dark wall at the very left is cropped out so it isn't distracting.  
  • By cropping some of that left yellow wall, it would move the umbrella more within the left third of the image making it a more appealing photo.
  • I would also crop the bottom of the photo so the drain isn't showing in the right lower corner.  It also is distracting, taking one's focus away from the umbrella.  The eye doesn't know whether to leave the umbrella and go there or to follow the line of the wall.
  • A little more cropping at the top would also help to remove the line on the wall at the upper right.  It isn't needed and doesn't add to the photo.
  • It looks like a tiny bit of straightening would also help, but I can't tell without trying it.


This is a nice marina shot, but I think it would be good to straighten the horizon a tad.  I also think that waiting to take this photo a few more minutes might give you a nicer sunset shot and not so much glare from the sun.



I love this assortment of old chairs, but the distraction of the car, the linens, and the buildings in the background take away from my being able to focus on the chairs, even though that green one would like me to keep looking at it.  Perhaps by taking the photo from a different angle, one wouldn't pick up the scene outside.  If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to fix this photo, unless don't, and post it on your odd ball post.  :-)




Update!
This post was recognized with a Gold Star Award on January 6, 2016.  Click here to see two others who received the award that day.  Thank you Cee!

4 comments:

  1. ..... and that is exactly what I did for the chairs photo. Used it strictly for odd ball. As a serious photo....way to much noise in it. That car was parked there, so there is much I could do. Your responses and observations were wonderful and spot on. Thanks Pat for having the guts to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You have been granted the Gold Star Award for Cee's Compose Yourself Photo Challenge #12 Critique My Work.
    http://ceenphotography.com/2016/01/06/ccy-features-week-12-critique-my-work/
    I sure hope this finds you happy and that your week is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for recognizing me for this post.

      Delete