Friday, November 18, 2016

Six Sentence Stories - Light

The blog hop Six Sentence Stories sent me dipping into the past.  I'm linking my six to Six Sentence Stories - Light.  What memories come to your mind when you think of the word light?  What creative juices start flowing when you receive this cue?  Why not write a six sentence story in a post and share for the blog hop?  It is fun!



Farming with two preschoolers in tow was difficult, and keeping the bills paid was challenging enough that he demanded that his wife get a job as a secretary to make ends meet.  Perhaps if she had been at home that day, the children would not have been so scared and would not have been left alone in the big old bare-bones house while he took care of the errand that took longer than expected.

The sun had set, and with the house being pitch black, fear crept in when he hadn't returned. Being there in the dark seemed like an eternity to the little girl and her younger brother.  They were standing in the corner of the large room when they heard the creak of the door opening.  It was only when they heard the familiar click and saw their mother standing under the high string leading to the light bulb that their fear melted away.



10 comments:

  1. children live in (potentially) such a strange reality which can be wondrous and, with the tick of the clock, monstrously threatening.

    good six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Take the imagination of a child and mix that with what they may have overheard or seen, and throw in a few other ingredients and the world may seem wonderful or the exact opposite, at least for part of their lives.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, this brought back a similar memory for me...great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this story gripped my heart! Such a scary situation for little children to be left alone and end up in the dark!! Very well done, and I night I'm sure they never forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I was hoping I could convey that through my writing.

      Delete
  5. Aw, is that autobiographical?
    I loved reading the post on your homepage about yourself. I would like to know more details such as how many children and grandchildren you have. Blessings xxx


    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A memory from my own childhood. There is an interesting things about memories that have become more apparent to me as I've listened to my own children gather and talk about something they all experienced at the same time. The stories vary! 3 ch, 12 gr ch, 3 gr gr ch

      Delete