Tuesday, January 31, 2017

ABC Wednesday - D is for Dress

For this post which I am linking to ABC Wednesday - D, I've chosen the word DRESS.  


I've always found it fascinating how styles of clothing repeat themselves throughout the ages. When I was in high school there was a new style (so I thought) that I was anxious to try.  My mother pointed out that the same style had been "in" during her younger years.  That was quite a surprise to me at the time.   Sometimes the names for the fashions change, but it is really the same style.

In the photo below, my aunt, now deceased, was wearing a dress that is very similar to the style of dress I wore as a teen.  She was wearing this sometime during the 1920's.  She was an excellent seamstress and worked for many years doing alterations in a women's clothing store that sold very fashionable clothing.

Aunt Woodworth Kimes Burrell

The photo below was taken in 1913 probably at the christening of the baby, my second cousin, Richard Colton Crandon, now deceased).  My great grandmother, Susan Durbin Pierce Johnston is holding the baby.  (She had remarried after my great grandfather, Thomas H. Pierce died.)  The mother of the baby, Mayme Loretta Shively, my first cousin once removed, is standing.  My great aunt, Sarah Ann Pierce Shively is seated.  The 1920's hadn't arrived yet, and the collars of the dresses in this picture are all high necked, similar to the style of some clothing I have worn in other years.

Four generation photo with
 great grandmother, Susan Durbin Pierce Johnston

Old photos are so interesting to look look at and scan so they can be shared with other family members.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely choice and photos for D ~ styles do come around again but look a bit different I think ~

    Wishing you a Happy and Peaceful week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Styles do come and go and with the changing fabric, they can come with a new look.

      Delete
  2. I have some wonderful old photos of family, too, and it's always delightful to see the way fashions come and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems when I go back and look at old photos, I see something I hadn't noticed the last time I looked at them.

      Delete
  3. wonderful choice but at the same time I am gratefull that I don't have to wear clothes like that


    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20d/
    (want to take a preview at the new url starting round 21 ? http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that some of the fabrics might night have been as comfortable to wear as well as launder.

      Delete
  4. A most interesting 'D' post, I wonder why people
    never smiled in those days.
    I'm also glad we didn't have wear such stiffling sort of
    clothes,
    When I was a teenager in the sixties the mini skirt was the
    fashion, I couldn't imagine the Victorian ladies allowing their
    daughters to wear such short skirts, dearie me no !
    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a very long exposure time with the cameras of yesteryear, so people just stood or sat very still waiting for the camera to take the picture. It would have been difficult to smile that long.
      My grandmother refused to watch TV in the late 50's and early 60's because it was so disturbing to her. I can only imagine what she would think now!

      Delete
  5. I am told they were told NOT to smile in those pictures, but I forget WHY!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a very long exposure time with the cameras back then, so trying to hold a sincere smile for that long would have been impossible.

      Delete
  6. Old b&w pictures are magic. Very interesting post and lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and photos.

      Delete