Saturday, January 28, 2017

Six Sentence Stories - Given

It has taken me a while to consider what I would write for this challenge, but the thoughts finally came.  I'm linking my post to Six Sentence Stories - Given.  The stories others write for the challenges are so interesting.  I always look forward to reading them.

******

His heart ached as he pondered why.  Accepting decisions of others when it doesn't make sense to you and brings such mixed emotions, not only to you but to the younger ones less experienced in the ways of the world, is difficult.

The news wasn't completely a surprise, but that didn't make it any easier to accept.  There was the letter that had been sent telling the details, the date, and so forth, but would they really go through with it?

Before it had happened, he had wondered about what additional responsibilities he and his wife might have due to the nature of their relationship with them, and could they handle the extra strain considering the challenging things they were already  facing at this time in their lives.

Then the phone call came, the news was given, and it was final.


8 comments:

  1. This is a very timely story, Pat. I can think of more than one scenario that would fit within it well. I think the question you present always comes back to us, what would we be willing to do, and would we actually do it. Thank you for this thought provoking piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josie. As I was writing this, I was thinking of a particular situation (not my own or of my family), but after writing it, I thought of some other scenarios where these words would have fit just as aptly. The choices we are given in life test our mettle and hopefully make us stronger.

      Delete
  2. I so agree wit him, why is sometimes the hardest question to answer, and the hardest reality to come to terms with. Life is not always fair, it does not always make sense, we have to find a way to deal with it on our own terms as best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and what makes sense to one person isn't always what makes sense to someone else, but it is your life and yours to live the best you can with the choices you are given.

      Delete
  3. I'm curious now. :-) Well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story is not based on a personal or family or even a historical event in the family, although in thinking back in family history, I think this could almost be a piece of historical fiction pertaining to one family. I was not thinking of anything like that when I wrote this though.

      Delete
  4. Well done. Sad though. At least it makes me sad. Anticipating the change that comes with accepting unexpected responsibilies can be a challenge and surely overwhelming at times. You are probably describing a situation, while non-specific, is more common in families nowadays than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families and individuals frequently find themselves having to face very difficult situations which can be very sad and challenging. What you can't go over or around, you must plow through. Through the plowing you becomes stronger, if you remember that with faith and prayer you receive the strength you need.

      Delete