Saturday, January 21, 2017

Ten Things of Thankful

This week I have felt such a range of emotions that I've had to really focus on simplicity as I write my post to link to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop created by Lizzi .  Recently we have been sharing a link to our post on the Facebook group, Ten Things of Thankful.

1. Home, a place of peace and security.

2. Being able to listen and try to understand the viewpoints of others, even if I don't agree fully with their points of view on some matters.

3. Being thankful for the women, men, and children all over the world who are standing up, whether marching or not, for the rights of other women, men and children, for the disadvantaged, for the people with disabilities, whether it be physical, emotional, or intellectual, for their rights to health care, and equality of freedoms as granted in the Constitution, for treating others as we would want to be treated, etc.

4. For white boards, and drawing screens on iPad Notes that make it easier to communicate with those who are hard of hearing.

5. For expansive, bright rainbows that appear, even though they sometimes disappear before I am able to get to a place along the road where I can get out and take a photo. The one I saw today was truly gorgeous and made me smile!

6. For the return of rain, which is more like our usual weather fare in the winter.  The snow was beautiful but most of us were ready for it to be gone here in the valley.

7. For sleep.  At times I find it difficult to do something part way.  I want to get to the bottom of something, or find the answer, or figure out a plan, etc.  On days like that I push myself further than I should and then pay for it later, thus finding myself lacking in the kind of restful sleep I need.

8. For learning something new and having a way to use that new knowledge within a day or two of when I learned it.  Those kind of happenings always seem so serendipitous, and lets me know that someone is looking over me.

9. For brighter light bulbs.  We have had three light bulbs burn out in our kitchen within the last month.  The last time I bought light bulbs I bought some that are supposed to be more energy efficient and last a lot longer.  They are also much brighter than the ones we had before, so now I'm noticing things in the kitchen that weren't as visible before in the dimmer light.  With my older eyes, the brighter light is better, unless of course I am looking directly into the light.

10. For group book discussions.  I attended a meeting for the women in my church this week and we discussed different points that were mentioned in a book.  It is interesting to hear the view points of others and to ponder the points mentioned.  


***For my husband and our extended family.  I would not be who I am if it weren't for them!


Have you learned something new this last week?  Have you discussed a book?  Have you been able to feel peace in your home or elsewhere?  I'm sure you have at least 10 things for which you are grateful.


6 comments:

  1. the light bulb thing I identify with in both aspects... nothing is so enjoyable* as changing lightbulbs... especially multiples. We have a hanging light fixture thats in the dining area and it has 8 or 10 small, pretend-candle flame bulbs. the fun thing (and life/metaphysics lesson) is that it takes more than one to burn out before we're prompted to change the burnt out bulbs.** But then the fun is the contrast with the new full light (it seems new, but of course, only normal.)
    On the less positive side: with the switch to the new bulbs that take time to warm up and get to full brightness, there was a brand (that we don't use anymore) that found a way to come on at full brightness, but something in the engineering, required it to dim back down after a few seconds. Invariably you'd think, 'oh oh, we're losing power'

    Thats one of things about the TToT that I enjoy, the examples of events in our lives that contain so much more than their literal nature.
    or something

    *well, I trust we know I'm exaggerating about the 'nothing'
    ** the reverse of the famous, 'not with bang, but a whimper'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for a light to come fully on only to have it dim after a bit would be really annoying, energy saving or not! As I just reread the last sentence, I realized how this could be a statement about my mind at times. HaHa

      Delete
  2. THis really was a great Ten, Pat! Like you, I found the events and reactions of this week challenging. I have a peacemaker spirit and conflict disturbs me, especially when it becomes something more ugly than the free exchange of ideas and opinions. I am proud to see people standing up for what they believe, for what we know is right, as long as it is done respectfully. I too love the peace of my home, along with the ability to turn off the tv and step away from Facebook when they interfere with my peace.

    I loved you learning something new with the opportunity to use it soon following. I've had that happen so many times, and I always smile knowing it was God sent. I loved your rainbow sightings too. They are always so much more beautiful than we can capture on our phones!

    Brighter light bulbs are a definite plus, as are the backlit keys on my tablet and laptop. I wouldn't have any other kind now. I even saw lighted crochet hooks recently, that's something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the add for the lighted crochet hook too, but it has been quite a while since I've crocheted anything. It is a little taxing on my hands these days.

      Delete
  3. You'll have to tell me more about #8 sometime! I've been enjoying rain here, too!

    ReplyDelete