Monday, January 15, 2018

Ten Things of Thankful

Life goes on with its ups and downs and though we don't always anticipate just how things are going to transpire, sometimes we may have a hunch, a certain feeling that we have come to recognize, perhaps personal revelation or inspiration, there are some ways we can prepare ourselves emotionally, spiritually, physically, educationally, etc. Other times things happen totally unexpectedly which can bring us to our knees. 

Over the time I have been reading posts linked to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop I have realize even more fully, that we are all in this life together, and together we can lift one another to a higher plain by sharing those things for which we are thankful. For those who may be feeling a little down this week, perhaps something here will make you smile or make you feel just a wee bit better. Be sure to check out the other posts that are linked to Josie Two Shoes Ten Things of Thankful blog hop.





1. Lunches with friends. Three days in a row this past week I went out to eat at lunchtime. The first was at a buffet with other empty nesters. My husband and I attended this one together. The second one was at a Mexican restaurant that is owned and run by a Mexican couple who make and serve real Mexican food, not canned or ordered from elsewhere. Some other women from the church I attend met for this lunch. The third lunch was at a neighbor's home. She asked me to come to meet a new friend who was born in Japan. We thought perhaps the oriental woman I had recently met was the same person my neighbor had met. As it turned out they were not the same person, but it was a delight getting to know her and her background.

2. Timing that is just right. One day last week I was doing a couple of loads of laundry in the evening. The second load was just a few pair of jeans and a couple of other items and was waiting to be put into the dryer. A few items in the dryer still felt a bit damp, so I decided to run the dryer just a couple of more minutes. The dryer started running and then just stopped. . never to go again, no matter what. Since we have a drying rack, the wet load dried overnight on the rack, and I started considering a new dryer. I'm so glad that the first load of clothes wasn't the second load. There would have been a need for more drying racks. Have you experienced a time when the timing was just exactly right? 

Our old dryer is 16 years old, and older than the life span of dryers these days. January is a good time to get some appliances, because of the sales. I was able to get a good deal. The new one will be delivered tomorrow. I decided we really didn't need a dryer with lots of "bells and whistles" and simpler was better. Our older dryer had some options that I never used.

3. Little pills. This last week I returned for a follow up visit with my doctor about my blood pressure. It is doing better after several weeks of taking a blood pressure medication. Supplement capsules and tablets often are large, so having a very small pill to swallow is a blessing. The only downside of the little pills are being able to find them if you drop one or more on the floor. 

I'm not the only one in my family to like little pills. My paternal grandfather used to take Carters Little Liver Pills. I always assumed that he must have had some kind of a problem with his liver. Imagine my surprise upon reading a little history about these pills. I also grew up hearing the expression mentioned in the article.

4. No surprise discoveries when taking our car in for a check up. Yeah for just the usual oil change, tire rotation, etc.

5. Being able to navigate, although be it with a cane at times. Trying to go forward with my exercising at the fitness club has been slowed down. I only made it in once this past week. Until I get some answers and/or relief, I think it best to lay off the Silver and Fit. I have the silver, but not so much the fit right now.

6. Being able to use some gift cards. We received a couple of gift cards at Christmas to a show in Portland this past weekend. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day for driving to the state's largest city. Mt. Hood was displayed in all its splendor. We ate lunch down on the riverfront where we were able to overlook all the boats and yachts docked there. People were out walking their dogs. Families were strolling along the wharf. It was so relaxing. The show was Live From Here with Chris Thile in the Keller Auditorium. The guests were the Tune-Yards, Willie Watson, The Fairfield Four, and The Lucas Brothers. What a beautiful day!




7. Appreciation for the many condolences expressed to the family of President Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints last Friday. So many people over the years have felt his love and care for "the one."


8. Progress. I hope to always be able to look at the progress being made, for the courage of the oppressed, for the determination of people to speak up for what is right, what is kind, what is helpful, and what is moral. Now is not the time to close our eyes, to refuse to hear, and to retreat. 

9. Appreciation for those who have shown how to quietly resist injustice and for those who shared their talents to support in whatever way they could those who were more visible in their resistance movements.  May we all become more articulate in expressing what is right and showing that by our actions as well.


10. My husband's care and help this past week in my times of physical weakness. His reminders to me of when I just needed to go sit down so he could help were just what was necessary.



14 comments:

  1. So many blessings. A great spouse is one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. I agree, he is the best for me, and that is what is most important.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely list. I'm always grateful if my car gets through its yearly tests without needing additional work. Lunch with friends always cheers me up too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some surprises with those car checks in the past, like the time they found a mouse nest.
      I love lunches with friends.

      Delete
  3. Mee-you Lady Pat it iss Purrince Siddhartha Henry here....yur Fankfull list iss trulee pawsum. Mee wanted to mee-yow FANK YOU fur stoppin bye mee bloggie. Iss a pleasure to meet you.
    Sinseerlee, Siddhartha Henry =^,.^=
    Pee Es: Mee hopess you can understand mee English....mee iss still leernin thee language...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of like using Duolingo, but I am learning. :-)

      Delete
  4. This was a lovely, thoughtful list, Pat, and I am so glad to be back and reading again. My attitude has improved 100% in the last few days of blogging/reading/commenting and sometimes I forget what a great source of encouragement we all are for each other! I love your lunches with friends, they are uplifting fun, and it's good to get out and share time with others.

    I am thankful with you that your dryer stayed in service for as long as it did, truly rare nowadays. I also agree about far more bells and whistles than we need or use on almost everything we go to buy. Sometimes simple is still the best. It seems all our gadgets get more and more complex. I truly feel for older people just trying to make it work right.

    I have taken those tiny blood pressure pills before too. I agree, while the size is great to swallow, they slip out fingers too easily. I once dropped and open bottle and spent a long time on the then-carpeted floor collecting them! Maybe they need a color other than white... like hot pink or green! :-)

    I am sorry that you still tire easily and have mobility issues as I do. I am thankful that I can get around and do what needs to be done, and I pray that you will continue to find healing and ways to make it work. This getting older stuff is a challenge! But I think it also teaches us patience and acceptance and I can always use more of both.

    Your trip to Portland to use your gift cards for the show sounded wonderful, it is so nice when the weather cooperates!

    I agree with you about progress and about the need to speak out against injustice and immorality. It is up to good people, kind people, caring people, to be the light and make the difference. We cannot allow evil to win.

    Your husband is always your best blessing of all, as is mine. Life without them would not only be much more difficult, but also not nearly as much fun. At the end of the day, the joy of that union and companionship is worth everything we go through together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, dropping an open bottle of tiny pills would be a major problem, especially if they kind of blended in with your carpet color.

      So glad you are feeling better. Welcome back.

      Delete
  5. Bit of a down week for me. Those lunches out all sounded lovely and that show in Portland. I would like to see Tune-Yards.

    I have been taking pills, daily, since I was around twelve. I've had to take some super tiny ones that are a huge pain to drop and some giant ones, even that smelled like skunk.

    I agree about keeping it simple. Washing machines and driers, or stoves, these days they often are all digital and touch screen. Not helpful for the blind. I keep it simple and back to basic, as often as possible.

    I look forward to enjoying a dinner out and taking in a show with my sister this weekend. Hoping it will be just what I need after a rather lousy week. It was such a difficult week, it took me this long to get here.

    Hope this next weekend is a pleasant one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuk, to pills that smell like skunk. I know that there are some people who really don't mind the smell of skunk, but I am not one of them. The thought of having to swallow one that smell and tasted like that is quite revolting.
      Oh, and dropping tiny pills when you have difficulty seeing, must be a terrible predicament.
      Sorry that you have had such a hard week. Hoping this next week will be better.

      Delete
  6. Reading about dropping little pills on the floor reminded me of this Studio C sketch that we just watched today: https://youtu.be/UKq8ktGRJM0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Studio C sketch is hilarious! Thanks for sharing it with me.

      Delete
  7. Very nice list of thankfuls. I am glad your blood pressure went down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think that dealing with pain has been part of the problem with the higher blood pressure, but the blood pressure medication is helping.

      Delete